Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A little bleach and a little faith

I came across these chairs a few weeks ago and it was love at first sight. I saw past the blue jean slipcovers. These chairs are oversized and so comfy! We were looking at a house that's for sale for Sarah and I liked a lot of the things that were there. I told the woman that if she were ever going to sell these chairs to let me know and I was pleasantly surprised!

The woman said she would take $50-$100 a chair and I was like hmmm well I could give you $100 for both that would work. :> So a few weeks later I finally got the chairs and wasn't sure what I was going to do about the blue jeans. It just didn't go with my decor. So I took a leap of faith and poured a whole jug of bleach into the wash with one set of slipcovers.

After a few cycles of taking the slipcovers out of the wash and putting them back in with more bleach I finally got them white. For some reason taking them out of the bleach and reinserting them into it did the trick. I could have let them sit in the same bleach for days and it would only take the dye out to a certain degree.

I washed them in peroxide to stop the bleaching process so it wouldn't eat away at the fabric. When I poured that first jug of bleach into the washer I never thought it would work. I knew I wasn't going to use blue jean slipcovers so I was willing to mess them up and experiment. These chairs retail for $699.95 per chair new and I got a heck of a deal. I love them and I can curl up in them. They are almost like mini loveseats... or are all chairs like mini loveseats?

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Meg they turned out beautifully! I can't believe it worked out so well. Now I am wishing I had bought the chairs. If you ever want to get rid of them.... ;)

Christina said...

I will fight Vic for them, but I doubt you will be letting them go. Fabulous and so glad you took the plunge. : )